The curriculum consists of 5 core subjects (English, Mathematics, Science, Computing and Religious Education) and other foundation subjects.
These are Design and Technology, History, Geography, Music, Art, Physical Education (including swimming) and Personal, Social and Health Education, with a Modern Foreign Language being an entitlement at Key Stage 2.
Pupils in the Reception class will be working on achieving Foundation Stage Early Learning Goals in the following areas: Knowledge and Understanding of the World, Physical Development, Mathematical Development, Communication, Language and Literacy, Creative Development, Personal, Social and Emotional Development.
Pupils in year groups 1 and 2 will be working on Key Stage 1 of the National Curriculum and those in year 3 and upward will continue through Key Stage 2 as appropriate. It is anticipated that most children will achieve level 2 by the end of Key Stage 1 and Level 4 by Key Stage 2. We aim to exceed these national targets whenever possible.
A revised National Curriculum came into force in September 2014. We strive to apply a cross-curricular approach to our teaching, making thematic links between subjects wherever we can.
The whole curriculum should enable learners to:
- Acquire knowledge, skills, understanding and practical abilities with the motivation to use them;
- Develop qualities of mind, body, feeling, imagination; extend effective use of language; develop effective use of number
- Appreciate human achievement in all areas of activity including art, music, science, literature and technology; acquire an understanding of the social economic and political nature of society;
- Help develop the full potential in individuals for their lives at home, at work, at leisure, in the community and as active empowered participants in society;
- Develop a sense of self-value and self-respect and to understand and respect the right to social and cultural differences amongst others.
Should any parent wish further information about our curriculum, please contact Mr R Ingram (Deputy Head) via the school office (firstname.lastname@example.org)